Thursday 2 June 2016

Mid year review - 2016

And so the story goes...

In terms of blogging, this year's been a bit on and off for me (apologies for that). It is mostly because I've had a busy couple of months studying for my postgraduate degree (which I'm pleased to say is almost over). But it's also because I've been working on some other projects that I was fortunately selected for. So, here are the top 5 things that have happened this year:

No. 1: British Council

Probably the most exciting project of this year for me. After winning a short writing contest, I became one of the lucky few that were selected to write for the world renowned British Council for 2016. I've written 4 articles for it about my experience as a student in the UK, specifically topics such as the student lifestyle, financing, and travelling on a budget. Two have been published presently, so feel free to read them: 
  • 1) http://www.educationuk.org/global/articles/frequently-unanswered-questions-of-international-students/
  • 2) https://digital.britishcouncil.org/blog/how-we-use-digital-platforms-attract-students-uk
Walking to our induction!

No. 2: WBS

My university invited me to do some filming to help market my course to future prospective students. The experience was definitely enjoyable, especially since we manage to do it outside near the lake on our campus seeing as it was really sunny! The video isn't out yet but when it does come out, I'll make sure I post a link on my blog for everyone to see it. So, watch this space ;)

Sunny day - heading to the filming location

No. 3: Bag design contest - winner!

I don't normally like to share my drawings out publicly (it's my bit of privacy that I'd like to keep private!). However, seeing as it's my last couple of weeks in my student halls, I decided to enter its annual bag design contest just for a bit of fun (also because the prize was too good to miss). It worked out quite well in the end seeing as I won the grand prize. In other words, hard work does pay off.

The final design

No. 4: Enactus

For those of you that don't know, Enactus is a student-run global initiative aimed at use entrepreneurial skills to solve social issues and help vulnerable groups. I was lucky enough to get involved in one of its more creative projects, and therefore had the opportunity to teach a group of homeless beneficiaries how to draw. I taught them how to sketch a cartoon version of themselves. Here's mine if you're interested:

The final look!

No. 5: Travelling 

Needless to say, with 6 months into 2016 already, I did manage to squeeze in some time for travelling. And I know haven't posted much about my trip to Wiltshire and the others places I've been to in the UK yet, but fret not. My reviews will come soon. So for those of you that are already enthused by them, here's a sneak peek of where I went:

Day out with friends in Leicester
Photographing in Petersborough

Strolling in Castle Combe
Shopping in Leamington Spa
Of course, not everyday was sunshine and rainbows. Many of the days I had this year were rather dismal and grey. But, if you look at the cup from a different angle, it seems that my 2016 so far was more half full than half empty. And I'm sure there'll be many more great adventures to come (just you wait). 

No comments:

Post a Comment