Saturday 16 August 2014

Saltburn-by-the-Sea

“Cause you had a bad day”


A day at the beach

I always emphasize the fact that I use travel as an excuse to get away from reality, to enjoy myself and to discover something new. There’s no doubt that with all that to look forward to comes immense excitement. You might therefore think that my life’s always rosy and sweet.

Well, in truth, it’s not.

Being optimistic constantly is what I strive for, but sometimes it’s hard to maintain. Sadness is equally a part of my life as is happiness. It might have been because of a pointless argument, the inclement weather or simply the cliché of walking into a pole (which I have to admit, does happen to me frequently and is, obviously, painful). Whatever the reason, I have a bad day every so often. So rather than crying to myself over the spilt milk or munching down bars of chocolate in the hope of suddenly feeling better due to a sugar rush, I head to Saltburn.


Arriving in Saltburn

Teardrops-by-the-Sea



Sometimes it’s hard to hold the tears back, even in such a colorful and cheerful place like Saltburn. I guess it’s fair to say that I usually start off feeling absolutely gray and stay like that up until I reach the entrance welcoming me to this seaside haven.

The entrance to Saltburn
After entering, it’s difficult not to start feeling slightly peachy even just by looking at all the quirky shops, the architectural splendor of the funicular railway (aka. The Saltburn Cliff Lift), and spectrum of colors created by the natural, seaside scenery itself. Don't believe me? Just have a look yourself.


And yes there have been times when I’ve carried my tears with me all the way down to the beach itself. But they don’t last long, oh no. They’re easily swept away by the ocean waves and seaside breeze.

The cyclists
Pastels and sun

The routine

One step at a time
There’s nothing wrong with being spontaneous. Spontaneity is like a flame that essentially ignites any sort of adventure. But when I’m not in the mood for that sort of spark, I like to stick to my same old routine. This basically consists of a long and quiet stroll along the beach, followed by a vanilla ice-cream whilst gazing out to where the sky kisses the sea. And if there’s time, I’ll be taking pictures of the latest creations crafted by the mysterious Saltburn Pier yarnbombers plus something with a hint of quirk and color.


What I wore to Saltburn
Suntanning yarn plushies

It’s as comforting as a mug of creamy hot cocoa on a cold, winter’s night.

But remember, problems should be solved and not avoided. So after I feel rejuvenated and ready to go home to face reality, I end my journey by taking a relaxing trip back up to the train station via the Victorian cliff lift.

One last look before I say goodbye
Saltburn-by-the-Sea: a charming British seaside resort town for most, and a place of solace for me.


x

2 comments:

  1. Lovely illustration, looking forward to see more in your future blogs.

    ReplyDelete