Friday 21 August 2015

Haworth

Well “worth” the wait


Travelling is clearly one of my passions, I’m sure you’ve all realized that. Nothing beats being able to skim through the many virtual tourist pages of the internet to cherry pick my target destinations beneath the evening moonlight. On the majority of occasions, I’m able to select where I’d like to explore next and carry that trip out the following day.

Train times for today...


 However, there have been a few times where I haven’t been able to immediately meet my goal. One example was my trip to Bamburgh (read here) which occurred approximately three years after I’d noted it down in my to-travel-to list. Haworth, the topic of today’s story, and I encountered the similar issue. Try as I did during my free-time England, heading to this little West Yorkshire village, which was famed for being the place where the Brontë sisters lived, was just a bit difficult for someone residing much further up north that had to rely on public transport.


Feeling tempted to head to Haworth already

Yeah, it was dreadfully frustrating. Especially since all the reviews and amazing photos of Haworth’s shops, views, and the Bronte museum online looked incredibly tempting.

Time to board!
Being unable to reach Haworth straightaway never tempered my dreams about it. So finally, after three long years, fate turned around and gave me the thumbs up. I soon found myself sitting on the train from Leeds to Haworth via Keighley with perpetual excitement.

Memories of Le Tour De France 2014


From electric to steam

To get to Haworth, the easiest way would be to drive. However, adventurers (or people without a driver’s license) would be better off taking the steam train from Keighley to Haworth.

Yes, you heard me, steam.


Inside the train
Trains and I are accustomed to one another. But steam trains on the other hand, now that was a whole new story. Watching the railway workers slowly steer the engine from the back of one carriage to the front of a different one, I suddenly felt as though I’d stepped back in time and visited the period in which The Railway Children was set in. The feeling actually made sense once I’d stepped into the train and was informed, by the sign on the table, that the Keighley & Worth Valley Railway was actually where the famed movie had been filmed. 


Why hello there...

I quickly sprang into action with my camera, snapping shots of burning coal, the carriages’ interiors, and, would you believe it, dog water (it’s important to cater for all members boarding the train you know!).


For thirsty furry friends only

The Bronte parsonage



They say it’s wise to save the best till last, but in this case, heading to the Brontë parsonage museum first was definitely a smart choice. Why? Because there was SO much to see (well, read to be more precise). Unfortunately, photography was a big no no inside the house of the Brontë’s where the museum was based. However, from a scale of 1 to 5, I’d definitely give it 5 stars. Apart from being able to see the original manuscripts and items that belonged to the family, it was truly interesting being able to wander through each room that the famed sisters had once resided in. Will definitely head back again to visit (especially since the ticket you purchase is valid for an entire year).

The Bronte Parsonage Museum

Oh and I totally recommend buying a Brontë novel from the shop – you can ask for a free stamp saying that you’d purchased it from the museum itself.

The Bronte sisters
Also, there is a vintage bus that takes you up to the museum but I’d definitely suggest getting there by foot. Good exercise AND you get to have a good look around all of Haworth’s shops! Don’t forget to take photos of all the quirky little building decorations too.

Bronte bears and more


Eat, Shop, & Walk


Minions, plush toys and home-ware

I think anyone that visits Haworth would find it excruciatingly difficult to avoid spending a couple of pounds or so on souvenirs. With so many locally-made products and gifts, it’s honestly the perfect village for a Sunday boutique shopping spree. It’s particularly suited for vintage lovers comme moi – think 40s-60s clothes, shoes, hats and more!

So much choice!
A colourful and tasty lunch

And after all that walking and shopping, I’m sure you’re bound to be hungry and thirsty. Food and drinks are plentiful in Haworth, given the many teashops and pubs plotted up and down the main street. My choice during my day there was Cobbles and Clay, a colorful café where you can paint while you eat (just pick a piece of pottery and some art equipment to get started). The veggie sandwich I had there was honestly scrumptious.


Sheep and hedgehogs

Hanging out in Haworth and exploring every nook and cranny of it was definitely a Sunday well spent. But like with all stories, an ending must follow. So at approximately 4:30pm, I found myself waving a tearful goodbye to the beautiful little village that I had befriended during my one-day trip. I therefore sought comfort in my new copy of Wuthering Heights as the steam train slowly swept us away.

Beginning a new chapter

My final verdict? Definitely “worth” the wait.

No comments:

Post a Comment